Instagram
Sponsors & Affiliates
TORA ShirtRLM_10_main_logoMSA_full
Donations
Donations options

TORA Q&A: Daniel McKenzie

View previous topic View next topic Go down

TORA Q&A: Daniel McKenzie

Next up in TORA's series of real world Q&A sessions is Beechdean AMR driver and former F2,F3 and Renault World Series racer, Daniel McKenzie.

What series do you currently race in?
Blancpain Endurance series with Beechdean AMR in the Aston Martin Vantage V12

Image courtesy of Beechdean Motorsport

Favourite car you have driven?
Road car has to be the Audi R8, I’m too young to be insured on supercars but managed to drive that on a private road.
Race car has to be the World Series By Renault single seater, absolute brute and pin point precise.

What would be your dream car?
Ford GT40 MKI or MkII would do nicely!

What's your favourite thing to do when you are not racing?
I love to work on my fitness, it keeps me focused and I always feel like I’m working towards better results and pace on track from it.
I also enjoy anything to do with cars, whether that be modifying and tuning or staying involved in the scene by driver coaching young and upcoming talent.

What is your favourite circuit?
Used to be Spa Francochamps hands down but since driving Monaco it’s a close call!

Do you/Have you used race simulations?
Yes. Over the years it’s very good to get yourself mentally prepped for a circuit, especially if you haven’t already been to that track.

What is your proudest racing moment so far?
Out qualifying and outracing current F1 drivers from when I was racing then in F3. Also winning an F3 championship wasn’t too bad either.

Image courtesy of Formula 2 Media

Do you think more could be done to help young talent progress in motorsport?
Absolutely. The major issue with motorsport is the cost, it’s not cheap by any stretch of the imagination and when you’re young and trying to balance studying, getting sponsorship and budget is tricky. There are various programmes for young drivers but no real programmes around that help drivers with sponsorship. Many very talented drivers have had to give their dream up from lack of budget.

What's the plan for the rest of the season?
The plan is to push for regular podiums in the Blancpain series and challenge for the title which the car and team is more than capable of doing. I would like to continue working a relationship with Aston Martin Racing in hope that I can get the odd test or possibly race in the WEC.

How can fans best follow your on track activities?
I try as much as possible to update on twitter over a race weekend, but can get busy at times. After each race a report will be posted on my website- danielmckenzie.co.uk

What one piece of advice would you give to anyone wishing to start or build on their racing career?
Never get complacent, work hard on your fitness to wield results on the track and last but not least, plan ahead so you have a clear idea of where you want to go and how you will go about achieving it. Also as a general rule Motorsport can also be very testing, don’t burn bridges as they can play dividends in the future!

Daniel was talking to Matt Hunter.

Matt
jenson09

TORA Race Number : 10
Xbox One PC

Number of posts : 14374
Registration date : 2008-08-05

View user profile http://forums.theonlineracingassociation.com

Back to top Go down